ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts Can't pin everything on Daniels and Grimes, there is a lot more

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
It feels like 90% of the reasons after a loss everything gets pinned on Jalon Daniels and Grimes. There is a lot of blame to go around.

First off I am trying to figure out how players and/or position groups go backwards. The secondary was proven and a known commodity. I mean Cobee and Mello Dotson made All Big 12 and other teams for their play. They were preseason All Big 12. Cobee has been decent and Mello to me, has gone back a step. Marvin Grant has been okay and I know he is doing some different things with his position he is playing. O.J. Burroughs has been in the tank.

We aren't talking about a bunch of young pups. These are experienced players who have played a lot of ball. These are players who have played much better in the past than they are playing now.

Cobee is the best of bunch this year but I was hoping to see guys elevate their game instead of playing the same or going backward.

The wide receivers are in the same position. These are players who have been playing in games for four years. Skinner has played in 42 games. Arnold has played in 46 games. Whether you like PFF grades or not I went to the season grades and Arnold is at 63.2 and Skinner is 53.4. They have the same WR coach. These aren't acceptable numbers for guys who have been playing for four years.

In the last week I have asked about Jalon's health and everything I hear he is healthy. There are no arm issues. But he just looks timid. He looks indecisive. I know he says he never lacks confidence but I don't buy that. I think he is missing the confidence or at least not playing with nearly the swagger he used to.

Hoover from TCU threw 37 times and the official stats say he was he was never hurried. But PFF has the KU defense with four hurries. For the most part Hoover had a clean pocket. Even when KU blitzed he completed 70% of his passes. There is no pass rush from the front four. The DE had two hurries on the day and one came from Warner and one from Robinson. Wudke and Miller had a sack and one of those came with a blitz and the TCU OL didn't do a good job picking it up and finding their man.

If TCU takes care of the ball this game isn't close. They tried to let KU hang around. KU really won the TO battle 3-0. I don't count the late pick by KU because the game was over.

One of the most disappointing things for me in this game was TCU getting a solid game on the ground. I heard from those close to TCU they have not been happy with their backs. They came in one of the worse rushing offenses in the league. At some points in their past games they abandoned the run. But against KU they got rushing yards especially in crucial situations. I know there was a reverse that figured in those numbers but when TCU needed to run they did and did it successfully. They haven't been able to do that until yesterday. In their big drive that started with 9:00 left in the game and only up 31-27 they pushed the KU front around.

I said going into the game the TCU offense will be the best passing attack they see likely all year. I felt like Hoover was playing pitch and catch with whatever receiver he wanted to all day.

There is blame to go around. Daniels doesn't look sharp. And he times he does, his receivers can't hang onto the ball. I have no issues with KU's rushing game. Once again their numbers were good.

The theme has been this is an experienced group and a senior led team will get things together and figured out. That hasn't happened. There are a lot of people responsible for the 1-4 start. It is a lot more than one person, one coach, or one position group.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.