ADVERTISEMENT

Where are all the great men and women?

JayStew

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 3, 2007
Wichita, KS
I have stated more than necessary, the history of my family. I am the last born of 22 grandchildren on my mother's side, and the last born of 27 grandchildren on my father's side. It is unique that a person who is 47 years old today has grandparents who born between 1888 and 1890. My grandfather on my mother's side fought in WWI, my uncles all fought in WWII, and my dad, his brothers, brother-in-laws, cousins fought in both WWII and Korea. For whatever reason, my brothers, cousins, etc were spared from the draft during Vietnam. Each one of my siblings and cousins are still living; my oldest cousin is in her 70's.

I would give anything for a national leader who isn't totally political, isn't totally slimy and beholden to special interests. I would give anything for a leader who doesn't lead based on poll numbers. I would give anything for a leader who did what was right rather than politically expedient.

Are there no men or women of character anymore? Men or women who will tell special interests to go to hell and do what is necessary for all of us. How many men and women know how to work together, leaving their agendas at the door, and work for the common good of man. This is my personal opinion, but I feel like society today is nothing but squashing one another. The homosexuals want to overrun the bigots who were jackasses in the day. The minorities want to take it to the bigots who were fools back in the day. The white offspring of yesterday's bigots don't know what the hell is going on because they weren't alive when their father's uncles were being assholes. The poor believe they deserve a piece of what the wealthy have earned, and the wealthy have become antagonistic.

President Obama hasn't breached this divide. He evidently believes someone is to blame for all the world's faults. Do we have anyone who can rise above this divide? Some man or woman who doesn't kneel at the trough of ideologue and divisiveness. I do not know one person who believes someone should go hungry, should be without some kind of healthcare, should freeze to death because they are in dire need. Why does our current condition have to be defined by political identity? There is more than one way to solving our problems, why do we allow our media and political pundits to set the narrative?

My daughter is 16 and my son is 13. What kind of world do they have to look forward? Is my advice to them to do well in school. treat their fellow mankind with empathy, taking them to church to learn about compassion, and teaching them their good deeds will be rewarded a dream of the past just wishful thinking? I am attempting to prepare them for a life of self perseverance. Should I be teaching them and preparing them for a life of dependence? Someone answer this question.

Each one of my uncles could rebuild an engine. Each one of my aunts could sew, upholster furniture, can fruits and vegetables. Today I am told our generation knows how to conserve. We know how to recycle, we know how to save the environment. Who is fooling who? We use to have conversations. Kids use to listen to their elders. I now have to beseech my kids to do these things and they act like I am punishing them to do so. To put it bluntly, my kids as well as most kids could give a rats ass what their descendants accomplished. And I will say this, their behavior isn't a result of my parenting. I am dealing with parents who don't know how to say "no". Whether it's a new Iphone, car, computer, etc, I am constantly dealing with the effects of my kid's parents who can't tell their kids no.

To put it bluntly, I give up. There is no way I can impress upon my kids the sacrifices their descendants made. It isn't brilliant enough for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News