ADVERTISEMENT

News and Notes LIVE FROM THE MEDIA ROOM: MEDIA DAY THOUGHTS

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
Well, as most of you know by now, in unity, the University of Kansas and the University of Missouri men's basketball programs will square off in a charity exhibition game Sunday, Oct. 22, at 3 p.m. at Kansas City's Sprint Center.

First and foremost, Bill Self made it absolutely clear that this game is about charity and nothing else. He was asked several times about playing Missouri and the hype surrounding game and the excitement coming from each fan base, but his response, no matter how the question was asked, never changed.

Well, at least for me, I can't wait to see how Kansas and Missouri matchup on the hardwood. Obviously, Missouri has struggled the last couple of seasons, but with Michael Porter, Jr., Jontay Porter, Jeremiah Tilmon and company, along with an entirely new coaching staff, this squad, no matter if it’s an exhibition game or not, will want to prove something against Kansas.

When asked about the possibility of playing the game before it was officially announced, a few Kansas players talked about how great it would be, but there wasn’t that sense really know what the rivalry once meant to both schools.

I could be totally wrong about this, but my feeling is, behind closed doors, Self will explain to these guys what this rivalry used to represent and how these two programs, especially the fans, absolutely hated each other.

Again, I could be totally wrong about that, but I just can’t imagine Self, behind closed doors, isn’t getting a little excited/fired up about this exhibition contest.

Personally, I can’t wait to see what happens next Sunday. Missouri has quite a bit of talent, but talent alone doesn’t always equal success. I’d love to see these guys take the court with a little chip on their shoulders, but that might not happen.

Checking in with senior guard Devonte' Graham

I started out media day by spending quite a bit of time with senior guard Devonte' Graham. Obviously, this being his last year, making a deep run, and getting over the Elite Eight hump, is very, very important to Graham and his teammates.

As I mentioned to Graham, there is no magical formula when it comes to kicking down the door and getting to the round of 4, but Graham did say that staying healthy and having guys step up when called upon throughout the season will be a big key for Kansas this year.

Winning the Big 12 is, without question, a top priority for this team. That has always been the case and I don't expect that to change. However, kicking down the door and getting back to the Final Four is equally important.

Reactions: Jhawk24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News