ADVERTISEMENT

How will the defense progress?

esuStorm4Hawks

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
May 1, 2007
There has been a lot of talk about the offense, of which looking at everything I feel pretty confident that the offense will continue to get better and better over the next few years with what we have in place (while admitting we need some OTs).

But what about the defense? How do you guys see the defense progressing over the next couple of years?

One thing I feel pretty confident about is that the defense will get better next year compared to this year. I think the only senior defensive starters we are looking at this year are Goodman, Love, and Bolton. I think we see some rough patches this year, but also see growth with guys getting experience and thus the defense looks much better next year compared to this year.

But beyond Year 2 of the Beaty Era, I think we could see a drop off. I see a junior core of starters in this next year's defense that will be gone in Olobia, Arnick, Shaw, Smithson, and Bates (among a few more possibilities). Focusing on the back seven, we could lose quite a bit. That's why I am thinking there are three keys for the defense to follow the same trajectory as the offense in progression of improvement...

1.) At least two of Tyrone Miller, Shaquille Richmond, and Shola Ayinde have to be starter quality guys in three years to replace these juniors. It would be great if all three were, but unless we want to see a massive overhaul like we are seeing now (and saw a couple of years ago), I think it is critical that a couple of these guys develop.

2.) At least two of Ogbebor, Feaster, and Joe Dineen (whom I hope redshirts this year) must develop into at least quality backup types in three years. It would be nice if they develop into starters, but at minimum a couple of these guys must be able to give quality snaps at LB or safety

3.) Recruiting quality LB and S options in this class may be the most important part to this next class other than OTs for long term stability of the program. I could see us targetting some JUCO guys at these spots in next years class, but for this class, if we can get around a handful of LB and safety prospects that have potential and may even be starter quality by they time they are true sophomores or redshirt freshman, it will really help the defense not see a hiccup between Years Two and Three of the Beaty era

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News