ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Commitment Breakdown: Houston Thomas picks KU

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Thoughts: It is a sign that shows you how good some of these guys on staff are at recruiting. I think once summer camps start Houston Thomas is going to pick up more offers once coaches see his size and athletic ability.

With so many things swirling around the athletic department and football program they are able to secure commitments from players like Thomas and Hendrix.

Josh Eargle and Lee Grimes did a great job with both of them and it shows you the relationships they built.

Thomas told me he planned on waiting until his official visit to make a decision. But after talking with his family, coaches, and trainers he was ready to move the timeline up.

Breakdown: I think Thomas can be a monster. Right now he’s at 6-foot-5, 220 pounds and he said the goal is to get in the 245-250 range. He said he can keep his athleticism and speed at that size.

If you watch College Station’s film you would probably think Thomas is recruited by an outside receiver. That’s where he lines up in high school. He actually doesn’t show much at all from a tight end spot. But that’s where his future is.

When they get in the red zone he is a tough match-up with defenders because of his size. Plus he can run so it is hard to bump and run with him for smaller corners.

He runs deep routes and also goes over the middle well. When defenses went zone he gave his QB a big target in the middle of the field. He’s good with yards after the catch which looks to be one of his strengths.

Final Thoughts: The word with the 2022 class is they might not target a tight end. After looking at Thomas they felt they would take one of the higher-rated players on their board.

I feel confident I can say there will be no more tight end prospects on the board.

When Brotherton joins the team they will have five, scholarship tight ends on the roster. And none of them will be older than a sophomore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News