ADVERTISEMENT

2020-21 SCHEDULE, RECRUITING, BIG 12 RACE, TRISTAN, CHRISTIAN, AND EVERYTHING ELSE SELF SAID TODAY

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
Speaker 1:
For the last nine years it's been KU.

Coach Bill Self:
Well, I actually agree with that selection. If I was a coach in our league that could vote for anybody, I would vote for Baylor. I voted for Baylor, obviously, because you can't vote for your own team, but just being totally objective they return the best team on paper. And so when we lost to, obviously, [consensus 00:00:28] second team all Americans, and that doesn't bother me at all. I think they're deserving of that. Of course, as we all know, pre-season stuff really doesn't mean much, but I guess I was happy that the coaches thought enough of our team to pick a second, but it's going to be a great league race. It'll be wide open. There'll be ebbs and flows. There always are, but I actually agree with that prediction.

Speaker 3:
Hey, coach. Any kind of scheduling update? I know that there's been some rumors of some new games, but anything official yet?

Coach Bill Self:
Well, there's that, and they'll probably stay rumors, but I will tell you this Mark Few and I are committed to playing each other. So, hopefully that'll all come to be. I know they're in the negotiating stages and trying to finalize some things, but we anticipate having a game with Gonzaga to open the season but it hasn't been finalized yet. But certainly we believe that to be the case, and we'll be playing two games in this event when it is finalized and then we believe the champions classic, at this point in time, is under the same type of talks that hopefully can be finalized soon. But I don't think anything is etched in stone yet, even though we believe that these things are still great possibilities to occur.

Speaker 3:
Did you talk to Mark Few? Have you guys talked about this?

Coach Bill Self:
We talked a lot about it. A matter of fact, the day that I called him, he told me he was getting ready to call me. I guess, as we both have the exact same birthday, our minds must think alike a little bit, but yeah. He's struggling. We were struggling with the Orlando situation, and so it just seemed natural for us to try to do something that would benefit both programs in a big way and be good for college basketball. So, I don't think that anybody would argue that it's a good game to certainly start a season, and there'll be other good games to start the season, don't get me wrong, but certainly that will definitely be one of the most watched and carry as much interest probably as just about any of them.

Speaker 3:
Hey, assuming that one sticks, what do you make of the reboot of this schedule? I mean, there's a good mix of some pretty tough games and then some home games, and, I mean, are you pretty pleased with it?

Coach Bill Self:
Yeah, we have to be. The thing about it is our schedule pre COVID, and you guys would probably agree, would probably be as hard as any schedule we put together non-conference, and then you throw in, maybe, as good our league has been in a long time and it's been really good. I mean, it'd be a monster schedule. I think last year didn't we have the number one overall strength of schedule last year? And this year's would have obviously rivaled that as well, but with COVID deal and going from 13 non-conference to 9, and then also there's a threat all the time of being quarantined for 14 days.

Coach Bill Self:
So we have adjusted our schedule. We think that best fits us. So, if your non-conference games are, and I say if, Gonzaga, Kentucky, Creighton, Tennessee. Four out of nine. So that's 44% of your non-conference games are going to be against pre-season, top 12 probably teams in America and that's before you play your league. I still think that we'll put our schedule up there with one of the best. And some of the other games, without question, even though they may not be top pre-season 25 team, some of the other games will be very difficult games, too, that will help prepare us for the league play.

Speaker 3:
Last one on the schedule. Can you talk about that Tarleton State game with Billy?

Coach Bill Self:
Well, he was struggling too. I mean, he was struggling... Matter of fact, I think he was scheduled to play Gonzaga maybe on the next day, and that thing fell through for reasons and may have got pushed off a year, just like we had to do some with some games. So, yeah. I'm excited to get Billy up here. His game counts as a division one game, and they'll be much better than what maybe we'll let some people project just because of the intensity and how hard they'll play, but that'll be a good game for us. North Dakota State's a terrific game for us. They, obviously, if they didn't win the league last year, they were right there to win the league. I thought they won it though, if I'm not mistaken. And we still have one more game to schedule and the question is, do we try to schedule one and squeeze it in where it may not fit perfectly? Or are we better off in a year like this, maybe just to play 26 games? We don't know. We're still trying to figure out if there's a perfect scenario out there for us.

Speaker 4:
Hey, Bill. Wanted to ask, a little off topic, the elections on Tuesday for the players on the team who are registered, who are planning to vote, is there any team initiative to go to the polls together or anything like that you guys have set up?

Coach Bill Self:
You know what, I don't know this for a fact. I know I've voted this past week on our off day, and I think four or five players voted there. I saw three of them at the polls when I was there. So, I think everybody has their absentee ballots. Everybody's sent them in. I think there may be one or two that hasn't voted yet, and we're trying to get everybody to vote before Tuesday, but we anticipate having a a hundred percent participation with everybody in our program that can vote will vote.

Speaker 4:
And then will you guys do something as a team on election day?

Coach Bill Self:
No, we'll do nothing as a team on election day. That's something that has been mandated and certainly a good idea by the Big 12 that no one will practice on election day. I guess we could have some type of team activity, but we won't do anything basketball related on election day. That will be a day off.

Speaker 4:
Yeah, no, no. Sorry. Sorry. My bad. I meant specifically for the election. Will you guys get together or anything like that?

Coach Bill Self:
Like have a watch party?

Speaker 4:
Yeah. Something like that.

Coach Bill Self:
We might. I'll tell you what we'll do. We'll start at 8:00 AM and run it through midnight. We may do something, but with the COVID situation you can't bring food in. You can't have everybody sit around and watch the election and eat. You got to have social distancing in everything you do. So, we may do something to create something from an educational standpoint and talking and watching maybe the different news outlets and how to follow it and what this all means from a strategic standpoint as the night goes on, but right now I don't have anything planned.

Speaker 3:
This is the first time we've talked to you since that late-night scrimmage, and I know that was a while ago, but can you just talk a little bit about Tristan in that game? I mean, he looked aggressive and what have you seen from him so far?

Coach Bill Self:
He's had a good camp. Tristan, Jaylen, and C.B., because they're all kind of similar sizes right there, have all had terrific camps. C.B.'s probably had the best one of the three, but, I mean, they've all gotten better. Tristan's stroke looks better. He's more confident. I'm more confident in it. I think he made two in the scrimmage, if I'm not mistaken and then maybe he got an 'and one' opportunity right there in a span of two or three minutes, which it's not real ball, but it was still good to see the ball go in the hole, but, yeah.

Coach Bill Self:
He's poised to have a big year. The thing about Tristan, and I'm not talking behind anybody's back because we've openly talked about this and he agrees. He's a very smooth player and sometimes smooth leads to casual and he just can't be quite as casual. So, and he's working hard on that. I mean, he, I anticipate him being definitely a rotation guy and has a chance and he'll have a chance to start. I don't know if that'll take place, but I would anticipate at some point in time this year he'll definitely be a starter for us because I think that we've got enough players that are comparable our starting lineups could possibly switch game to game where it hasn't been that way much in the past.

Speaker 3:
You have seen progress, though, in that being less casual from him compared to [crosstalk 00:09:03]?

Coach Bill Self:
Yes, no question. No question, but there's still another step or two or three that he can take on it, but I think he's had a tremendous fall and I think Jalen has as well and C.B. has. I mean, we scrimmaged yesterday for the first time, a real scrimmage, and there were some, obviously, some bad things that occurred, and certainly no attention to detail, and don't guard anybody, and all those things, but you did see some positive things from some individuals and those guys all had their moments.

Shea:
Hey, coach. I know the early signing period is less than two weeks away. You guys have two onboard. Would you like to add more or are you just going to roll with the two you have and see what happens in the spring?

Coach Bill Self:
You know what? I don't know, [Shay 00:11:09]. If we could get the right one or two, sure we would do that. Going into it we, on paper, had three scholarships because we had three seniors. Well, now on paper that's not the case because seniors can come back. So, I'm not saying I anticipate Mitch or Marcus either one coming back, but certainly if they are granted that opportunity. So, that could change some philosophies on recruiting and then you're going to have transfers more than likely that'll be eligible immediately. So, if we could get a terrific big or a terrific guard, then sure we would. We would jump all over that, but right now I'm not sure it may be the [percentage 00:10:36] of best play is to hold and see how things play out second semester. We've got so many unknowns going on right now with our program that's been very well-documented that it's kind of hard to really sell exactly what a situation would be when we don't know how to sell that because we don't know, nor does anybody know. So, it's been a challenge, but I'm really happy with what's transpired so far.

Karen:
Hey, coach, how are you today?

Coach Bill Self:
Hi, Karen.

Karen:
Hi. How is the recruiting? I mean, are you becoming an expert on recruiting through Zoom? I mean, are you having to put your best foot forward in front of the camera? How do you do this?

Coach Bill Self:
I actually, probably not very well to answer your question, but I kind of like it. I like the fact that you can get in front of families and face-to-face, and have it be more than a phone call. I don't miss recruiting at all, but I miss the opportunity for families and kids to come to our campus. But but as far as going out and stuff, I mean, I don't miss that at all. I miss evaluating in certain situations that we aren't allowed to now, but there is tape and things like that you can do to evaluate. And most of the kids that we would be offering a scholarship to, and trying to land here, we've watched enough of them to see them and know how we think they would fit with us.

Coach Bill Self:
So, I don't think recruiting by Zoom or by telephone call only. I mean, our social media people have done an unbelievable job in getting stuff out to recruits and families, and they've been very impressed with that, and so we've been able to sell ourselves better than we've ever sold ourself in the past, through those avenues. And I think the Zoom has been positive for us for the most part. It does lack the personal touch, but, to me, I still think we'll get the same kids we would've gotten if we could be out, and I think the majority of the other colleges would probably feel the same way. Regardless of what the rules are I think we're still going to probably end up where we should end up, and that didn't always work that way, but in general, over time, I think it would play out that way.

Karen:
And another topic you may have heard that Kansas City's making a bid to the Toronto Raptors to be a host city, should the immigration rules stick, and they can't travel back and forth from Canada. You look at Kansas city when you come to the Big 12 as a second home. You think that's a good move to have the NBA just 45 minutes away if Kansas City can pull off being a host city? What would you say to the Raptors about the city?

Coach Bill Self:
Well, I would say that this place is obviously a hotbed for basketball. This place obviously loves their ball, and you go back historically to all the NCAA tournaments and the NCAA being here, that was held in municipal auditorium, and those sorts of things. I think that that would be a big sell because we've shown that we love ball historically, and then, obviously, with the T-Mobile/Sprint. I mean, I know it's T-Mobile, but I'll sometimes forget. There's probably other NBA arenas out there that are it's equal, or maybe a little bit more advanced. There's not many. It's terrific.

Coach Bill Self:
And then the location in the downtown area. I think it would be an unbelievable move if the Raptors have to go somewhere, to seriously consider Kansas city. I saw firsthand, and we all did, what happened with the Hornets. I believe it was the Hornets then and not yet the Pelicans when Katrina hit new Orleans and they relocated to Oklahoma City, and you saw how that market rallied around that team to make them basically an automatic to get a franchise if anything else was going to transpire. Then, of course, the Sonics moved there. I can see Kansas City doing the same thing. I think people would rally around it.

Coach Bill Self:
From a college perspective in K State in Kansas I'm not sure it helped with attendance. I think that the entertainment dollar stretches so far who knows what the economy will be like. Some things like that, but when you're looking at what's best for us as a whole, there's no question. I think having an NBA team play here, even if it's only temporary, to put us in a position to show what we can do, to posture ourselves more favorably, to attract a team permanently. I think it's a must. We got to go for the throat on that, and I would think that... [Chief's 00:15:37] players like playing here, [Roles 00:15:38] players like playing here from everything I hear. There'd be no reason why NBA players wouldn't like Kansas City. I don't know.

Karen:
Thanks, coach. That's great.

Gary:
Bill, how is Latrell and any other injury updates?

Coach Bill Self:
We had everybody practice yesterday, but Latrell, he's not day to day. I still think he's time away, and we hope that time is a week. He's got a nagging ankle situation that we're a little bit nervous about. Not nervous that it's going to cost him a season or anything like that, but nervous about bringing him back a little too quick. So, we'll err on the side of precaution there, but I'm hoping within the week though, [Gary 00:16:19].

Gary:
Billy Tubbs, I guess, unfortunately is ailing badly. Have you heard about that, and what are your best wishes or opinions of Billy?

Coach Bill Self:
John [Roadie 00:16:32] called me yesterday and told me and I text Tommy Tubbs right after that, and we corresponded a little bit. But I don't know everything that's going on with it, but, obviously... I'll say this: there's, and being from Oklahoma, there's three men that brought basketball to Oklahoma. Mr. [Ivy 00:16:55] did back in the earlier years, but from a popularity standpoint Wayman Tisdale, Nolan Richardson, and obviously Billy Tubbs. They did more for basketball in our state in the modern generation than anybody has, and he was one of those guys that you loved, or you love to dislike. And I know Kansas fans had their moments where they certainly disliked. What'd he do? Have his team cut down nets here after winning the big eight one time, and he had players at Colorado wear the foam finger to make sure that the people knew they were saying number one instead of maybe something else. I know When UNLV introduced their starters they did the fireworks show. So he got everybody sparklers when he took us to TCU team to play there and they ran through the sparklers during pre-game introductions.

Coach Bill Self:
And I could go on and on about so many things he did that created controversy and interest at the same time. Who would ever forget what he did with Missouri and Norm Stewart when he got on the microphone and said, "Hey, nobody throw anything else on the floor no matter how bad the officiating is." I mean, he did stuff like that all the time. You just can't help it like him, and so wish him nothing but the best, he and his family and Pat and Tommy and their group. But, that's a man that created a lot of memories for a lot of people, and that's just off the top of my head. I could list him more, probably, just if I'd had 30 seconds to think about it.

Speaker 8:
Take two more questions for coach, please.

Gary:
Oh, we haven't had a chance to talk to you. Do you have any further reaction about Silvio, and does he have a chance to ever come back to the team?

Coach Bill Self:
Guys, you guys read the release. Silvio opted out and said leave the program. So let's not read into it any more than what was actually stated, and I love the kid. I know what's been reported and to my understanding has been accurately reported. I still don't know all the details about it. I'm certainly not passing judgment, or issuing judgment, because I don't know details, and I know there's a process that has to play out, but you guys read it and I think I stated it, eloquently would not be a correct term that I'd ever use when I'd make a statement, but I think I stated accurately on where we're at and there's really nothing else to say about it.

Speaker 9:
Hey, coach. Dajuan Harris, do you have a feel for where he'll fit in or what you'd like to see from him this year, maybe what his role will be?

Coach Bill Self:
I didn't catch who you're talking about.

Speaker 9:
Dajuan Harris.

Coach Bill Self:
Oh, Dajuan. Yeah. I don't want to ever say that somebody can't be a starter, but the reality of it is I'd love for him to be our backup point. He's going to go through some things. He's light. I mean, he's light. Weighs about a buck 60 probably, and so, physically, he's got to be very, very tough and be a pit bull type player to play when you're that light, especially against 21 and 22 year old men when you're young. He's got it in him to be a good player. There's no question about that. He's got tremendous vision. He's got great hands, but there's been some things has happened during practice, I think, that has exposed his size a little bit, and he's got to find a way to compensate for not being very big. And I think he's got it in him to do that, and that's one thing he's got to become, he's got to become a pest, a gnat, and I think he'll do that. But you'll like his game. He's got feel. He's got some game.

Speaker 9:
Thanks, coach.

Speaker 8:
All right. Thanks everybody for your time.

Coach Bill Self:
All right, everybody.

Speaker 3:
Thanks, coach.

Speaker 4:
Thanks, coach.

Coach Bill Self:
I'm surprised you showed up since there wasn't free food.

Speaker 3:
[It's easy. 00:09:00]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News